- Fashion Group International FGI
- International Textile and Apparel Association ITAA
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists
- Costume Society of America CSA
- Textile Society of America
The professional and academic organizations FGI, ITAA, and AATCC host or sponsor fashion design competitions each year, with entry deadlines in the spring for fall shows. Advanced students who will attend IU the following fall are encouraged to enter in the spring, and numerous IU students have been finalists or winners with those groups. Other groups that organize fashion design competitions include: Fiber to Fashion (F2F) Student Fashion and Textile Design Competition sponsored by the Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association (AOBA), Miami Fashion Week International Student Designer Competition, Supima Cotton marketing group’s Design Competition, and Gen Art Organization’s emerging talent Design Competition.